a mini-meta & theory about Blackfyres
omgggg are you in for a treat anon.
Blackfyres are the descendants of King Aegon the Fourth, who fathered a great deal of bastards (the most prominent are: Bloodraven (who is a greenseer/part tree in Dance), Bittersteel, who founded the Golden Company while in exile in Essos, and Shiera Seastar, who Bloodraven loved. Daemon Blackfyre was one of King Aegon’s bastards, fathered on his cousin, Daena the Defiant.
Daemon was recognized as Aegon’s bastard when he was a teen, and he was given the Valaryian steel sword of the Targaryens, Blackfyre, from which he took his surname.
Basically, civil war eventually broke out between Daemon Blackfyre and his half-brother, King Daeron - some argued that Daeron wasn’t Aegon’s son, some just like Daemon better - and Bloodraven sided with Daeron, while Bittersteel fought for Daemon. Daemon was killed in battle with some of his sons, while his younger sons survived.
These sons and their descendants came back a few times with lesser rebellions that were shut down before they could gather major strength.
Blackfyres and their supporters believe they are the legitimate claimants to the throne; although the Blackfyre line is said to be “extinct” in the male line, I believe it is still alive through the female line.
From a lot of minor evidence from the book, including:
- Golden Company, founded by Bittersteel, somehow supports Aegon Targaryen because of a pact made between Illyrio and its deceased former leader
- Illyrio has a trunk full of children’s blue clothes
- Blue we see helps disguise Aegon’s true eye color
- Illyrio is awfully invested in restoring a Westerosi claimant to the throne
- Varys shaves his head
- Egg from Dunk and Egg stories shaved his head to disguise his Targaryen hair/heritage
- Jon Connington did not see Aegon until he was about five
- Illyrio’s second wife was said to have “Valaryian” features, which we know are the same as Targaryen features - purple eyes, silver/gold hair.
- “there’s power in king’s blood” -> Varys was castrated by a red priest and his balls were put into flames
There’s other stuff and I’m collecting it for a giant meta in the future, but it basically boils down to:
- Varys is a Blackfyre
- his sister, Serra, was a Blackfyre and married Illyrio
- Aegon is their son
- Therefore, Aegon is a Blackfyre
- Varys and Illyrio have been plotting this for years
- Not many people know the truth about Aegon’s heritage
Not to mention, Dany is prophesied to be the “Slayer of Lies,” which could mean she’s destined to either kill Aegon or slay the actual lie that he is Rhaegar’s son. Also, she is told to be wary of the “Mummer’s Dragon” and we learn that Varys grew up in a trope of mummers.
So, basically the Blackfyres are the absolute long con play in the game of thrones.